Pre-Construction – The Basics to Estimating, Bidding, and Procurement (4-night training)
October 16, 2024 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm$325.00 – $475.00
This class will be held on October 16th & 17th and October 23rd & 24th; from 5 to 7 pm
Instructor: Moe Yamani, Lead Estimator, Turner Construction Company
This course covers all fundamental aspects of Basics to Estimating, Bidding, and Procurement. This is a right beginner’s course designed to give your ideas on how to approach the preconstruction phase.
This course prepares you for higher levels of estimating courses, and to pave your career path to become a qualified estimator in the future.
Here is a detailed look at the topics that will be covered:
Wednesday, October 16th
- Introduction to Preconstruction including knowledge of Estimating, Bidding, and Procurement
- Different levels of estimating/pricing like ROM or ballpark, conceptual/budgeting, and hard bid with respective margins of errors
- Direct and Indirect costs
- Different types of contracts
- Preparation of the estimation (kick-off meeting, calendar milestones, trade responsibilities, sorting and publishing documents, inviting the right subs & networking, site visits, RFI questions)
- Knowing subs and how to convince them to participate in your projects.
- Project qualification requirements like wage scale, MBE, first source, bonds, and exemptions (work and coordinate with procurement department)
- Contractor Qualification Requirements (types of projects, financial capability, EMR, Length of time in business)
- Pricing sources (Subs, Internal, and RS means)
Thursday, October 17th
- Design phases (updating cost estimation)
- Process of estimation
- Reading and analyzing documents.
- Creating the scope of work
- Takeoff with the respective units of measure
- Technology In construction (takeoff and estimating software)
- Internal coordination (scope review and page turn)
- Assumption and clarification (unforeseen condition)
- Alternate, unit price, and allowance
Wednesday, October 23rd
- How to read and interpret subs’ proposals (inclusions, exclusions, terms, and conditions)
- Bid leveling
- Descoping key subs
- Work with other internal departments like operation, safety, procurement, SPO, marketing, etc.
- Items that may impact the estimation package like long lead items, material, and labor shortage.
- Bid sum (Recap)
- General condition, general requirements, overhead, fee/profit
- Contingency (Design and Construction)
- Early release/buying package (enabling project)
Thursday, October 24th
- Meetings/constructability review (design assist)
- Value engineering (VE) options
- Escalations and acceleration
- P&P Bonds, bid bonds, Subcontractor Default Insurance SDI (sub-guard)
- Liquidated damages
- Create a detailed deliverable package for the client.
- Relationships with subs (networking, being honest, giving feedback, awarding notifications, updating, do not do shop bidding, fair deals)
- Tracking the market (inflation, material, and labor shortage)
- Lessons learned from the previous projects and pluses/minuses.
Meet the Instructor:
Mr. Moe Yamani has about 20 years of experience in various construction industry positions, including public and private sectors, such as preconstruction manager, project lead estimator, operation, and procurement agent. He received his Master of contraction management degree from Morgan State University (Baltimore, MD). He is teaching other construction management courses in accredited academic institutes.
ABC can customize this class for your company!
We can host at your place or ours!
Contact Brittany for more information